27 August, 2007

getting old...

last night some of us were watching t.v., with the rare circumstance that the mom had the remote...and the channel clicking came to a pause when I noticed a movie I liked, recounting days of extreme racism in America. The setting was obviously not modern, and one of our sons asked "Is this movie OLD or WHAT?!?". We checked the channel info, only to find that it had been released in 1985. SO Ben says "Yep - 22 years old". He looked at me and said "That means WE are old! To say the we once watched a movie that is 22 years old. Wow." I asked him, "Will you still love me as I get older and uglier?" He thought for a millisecond, and said, sweetly, "Oh, I can't imagine you being any uglier".


Then we both burst out laughing, knowing full well that was not what he MEANT to say, and all corrective comments that followed were meaningless. The words had escaped his mouth. And there you have it, folks. Just when you thought life was going along smoothly. You hear you are as ugly as you'll ever get. Guess I can live with that.

2 comments: