04 January, 2007

I think I am in trouble.

Happy New Year everyone!! Did you know that SUNDAY was New Year's Eve? Did you enjoy it? We did. Did you know that a large number of "Utahns" - as they are called - did their celebrating on SATURDAY? ben & I both think it is so weird...something in the book of mormon, or the "annals of Joseph Smith" dictates they should not spend money on sunday. so....

I am part of an internet loop of "salt lake moms" - thought it would be fun to get to know some people, heckle them a bit - JUST KIDDING!!! But, someone did pose the question...as a neighboring cities held public entertainment displays and family fun on saturday, to avoid doing it Sunday.... (this is from a Christian mom)

"Ok so how many of you agree with the whole New Years on Saturday?? Just curious to see the thoughts you all have on that........
lol

you know where I stand lol!"

MOST of the mothers replied thinking it was "silly" - you can't change a day, what are you going to do at midnight, ring in the "Happy day before new year's Eve"?

Here is where I might have gone wrong, with my comment ~

ohmygosh. as IF the people were not still up on sunday to "ring in the new year". Did they not think that that qualified as "doing something on Sunday"?? Sunday was still a part of things...just depended on whether or not you started or ended your celebrating then. Besides - if they were adhering strictly to biblical customs, the sabbath is on Saturday. shame on them!
Do people think there is a place in heaven with a big sign over the door: "FOR ALL THOSE WHO DID LESS ON SUNDAY THAN OTHER DAYS OF THE WEEK"

i am thinking not. God knows I pray when I walk through target - sunday, tuesday, doesn't matter. He did say "remember the sabbath day to keep it holy"...well, even Jesus did things on the sabbath.

jmo.


and, without surprise, no one else seemed to have a strong opinion, or much of a reply to what I said. one mom, in fact, followed my comment by saying she is LDS and it is her personal preference to be so, as well as to "try not to spend money on Sunday".

(I say with my head cocked) ~ Why not?

God knows you'll spend that same darn money on Monday. And, do you think the God-ordained day of Sunday being December 31st means anything to Him? Don't you think He is a little offended that you are trying to rearrange his schedule so flippantly?

Moving New Year's Eve, for crying out loud. Like you can.

No comments: